Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Grampians!

Day 22


"Sometimes the things that aren’t planned end up being most memorable."



So, as it was a Saturday. I had no plans for the day besides making myself get out of bed and do homework. (I know, I’m such a motivated person.) As it would happen, fate decided differently. Daniel texted and said he had free tickets to the North Melbourne game against Melbourne. Did I mention they were free? What’s more, they were in the cheer squad section.

Why yes, I did take him up on the offer.


It ends up the Kangaroos were playing in Etihad Stadium, which is indoors. I was pretty excited to experience another field besides MCG, and I was also fond of not getting wet so soon after our Docklands excursion. So, a win/win situation. Actually, a win/win/win situation, but I’ll get to that later.

We travelled to the stadium bundled up in scarves and rain jackets (Trust me, it’s STILL cold here.) and thankfully the sun broke through while we were in transit. The Etihad Stadium is a huge building that is free flow in the fact that the doors were made for ushering a lot of people inside, but not keeping in any heat. As soon as you get past security, you’re hit first, with the sight of the green oval, and second, with the settling cold air people keep bringing in.

Apparenlty, cheer squad means you either paid a lot of money, or you know someone special, because our seats were only four rows back from the field on the first level.  I didn’t even have to use my 26X zoom; the players were practically within reach. I guess the only disadvantage was when they were playing on the other side of the field.



Naturally, since North Melbourne kicked serious butt the whole game, we had a spectacular view for half of the game. (The teams switch sides every quarter.) Also, I noticed something new about the game. There is absoulutely no protection from a footy ball popping you in the face if a kick goes array. No nets whatsoever. Now you may think this means the AFL has to give up a lot of footy balls to eager fans. WRONG.

In AFL, it’s a pleasure for fans to throw back the ball. I watched, and not one ball was kept when it went into the audience (which happened quite frequently.) The fans threw it right back. There was one memorable moment when Drew Petrie kicked a free kick right through the posts and directly into an open square window where the box seats were. It was so awesome. I’m not sure if he meant to do it. But if he did, his aim is impeccable. But even the big shots threw the ball back. I was shocked.


I won’t bore you with a play by play, but basically, the game was a blow out with North Melbourne winning by an insane amount. I actually felt bad for Melbourne. They scrambled the whole time. Oh well. I had my meat pie. Everything is right in the world.
So, we left the game and got back in time to catch Tom and Flo in the lobby. Out of nowhere, we’re asked if we can cover someone’s spot at a Unilodge event because they found out they couldn’t go last minute. Within 20 minutes of getting back from the game, we had plans to go out to an Australian stand up comedy show. Cost per ticket: 20 dollars. Money we paid: 0 dollars. Yusss.



So, it ends up, Australians are pretty funny. After we found a place to sit in the packed dimly lit room that housed a small round stage with red curtains behind it for the joksters, we were entertained by the host who made a large number of references to his weight. The guy was a natural, playing off whatever the crowd gave him. The second comedian was a bit more rough around the edges. I swear, it’s the first Australian accent I’ve heard that I couldn’t understand.
Melbourne Comedy Club.


Apparently, he’s what we call a bogan. Enough said.

From the 40% of his jokes I understood, the guy was freaking hilarious. Of course, his comedic arsenal consisted of anything from jokes about Americans to koala road-kill jokes to relying on the ever so common sexual humor. Honestly, he was so jacked up and spoke so fast with such a prominent accent that the guy would be funny in whatever setting he was in. He was definitely the most energetic and most Australian comedian there, so obviously, he was my favorite.

The last comedian was decent until he started talking about orgasms and spoke for a little too long to the point where everyone was looking around kind of chuckling, but really wondering when he was going to move on to whatever punch line he had next. But there was no other punch line. I think it’s safe to say he was fresh out of ideas.



So, after the comedy club, we walked back to the Unilodge and decided to get some sleep. Because 6AM comes a bit too quickly, my friends.

Day 23

All right, the day you’ve ALL been waiting for….TODAY WE WENT TO THE GRAMPIANS NATIONAL PARK!!

Ok, ok. So maybe it was just me who was waiting for it. To start off…

The land is so vast.


Honestly, I could write words upon words and never describe what I saw today. You could even scroll through the photos (that are consequently taking forever to upload) and it still wouldn’t capture the beauty of the Grampians.



But hey, I’ve got to at least try to tell you about my day.

Ha. Our day started at 6 AM when we put on as many layers as would fit under our raincoats.


We were still cold. You do not want to be walking the streets of Melbourne during winter at 6 in the morning. It’s not worth it. Unless, you slip into the 711 to get a dollar coffee that tastes amazing because it’s providing the warmth your body needs to live AND you’re going to the Grampians National Park. So, we were in luck.


Our bus driver was a lively local by the name of Steven. He was cheery for such an early morning and asked why we didn’t bring him a coffee. Even though he was joking, I couldn’t help but feel a wee bit inconsiderate. Poor guy.  We dragged him out of bed this early, surely we could have brought the man a coffee.



After picking up a Scottsman, a guy from Miness-O-ta, a few English folk, and some people from Thailand, Shayna, Wendy, Nanna, Chris and I were finally heading to the Grampians. Oh, and I’m not sure if I introduced Nanna and Chris earlier, so I’ll do so now. Nanna is from Denmark and Chris is from Berlin; both are excellent company.

The Grampians (which curiously enough are named after the Scottish Grampian Mountains) are roughly three hours away from Melbourne. Plenty of bonding time, let me assure you. Honestly, the scenery between here and there was so entrancing that I only had time to nap when storm clouds rolled in. The country side is beautiful. The land is so flat and in the distance loom the mountains. It just gives everything the feeling of being spread out. Which, honestly, it is.



Yes, we did pass actual warning signs for kangaroos and koalas. And like the comedian mentioned last night, splattered koalas are not actually filled with caramel like the Aussie chocolates want us to believe. And we saw TONS of kangaroos just chilling beside the road. Actually, we had to stop the bus twice for kangaroos to cross the road. Once, it was a joey, and the second one was huge and powerful. If we’d hit it, it wouldn’t have been the only thing damaged.



Sadly enough, the first kangaroo I saw in the wild was lying dead off the side of the road.


Yes, that would be my luck.
Poor creature. Life comes at you fast.

Anyway, on our way to the Grampians we passed through what is called the Golden Triangle, which consists of three towns. Apparently, gold was discovered in the area so the settlements sprang up fast. However, to keep people out, the government set up a registration fee that miners had to pay if they were going to stay in town. Since many of the miners couldn’t afford it, they all organized and went on strike taking to a building called Eureka. There, they raised the Eureka flag and burned the buiding along with the licenses. The uprising left 35 men killed, mostly miners.


It was the first time Australia acted as a democracy.

We also passed through the town of Moyston. It’s a really small town with not much to it. However, right in the very center is a footy pitch and a momument erected that names Moyston the birthplace of Australian Rules Footy. The story goes that Aborigianal kids would play on the cricket pitch with a stuffed possum and came up with their own rules. The game was presented to the Cricket Committee who ended up putting some official rules to the game. The first AFL game was played between two grade schools in Moyston.


How’s that for history. A stuffed possum, ha.


As we rolled up the Grampians, and pass the Ross resting and grazing on the cricket pitch, we piled out of the bus and were given time to bond with the wildlife. Kookaburras were everywhere. They’re smart little buggers. They just have an intelligence about them. And of course, we stepped around kangaroo poop and tried to get as close as possible to take some snaps.

Now here’s a fact you might not hear every day.


Kangaroos growl.

No, I’m not kidding. Seriously. They sound almost like a dog would when you get too close to it. I thought I was going to roll on the ground laughing when I tried to take a picture of Shayna getting close to this big male kangaroo when it lowered its head and growled at her. Not like a cuddly growl, but a “get too close and I’ll kick you” kind of growl. It was hilarious. Of course, Shayna claims she wanted it to attack her. More stories to tell, ya? Ha.

Scattered amongst the kangaroo poop and roos themselves, there were the famous Australian wattle trees. Of course, they’re endemic. But, here’s what I didn’t know. Have you ever wondered why Australians wear green and gold for their sports team even though their flag colors are green, blue and white?

Well, I’d wondered, and thought it was just some sort of rebellion against England or something. BUT. I was wrong. Apparently, they wear green and gold because they’re the colors of the waddle tree, which are only found in Australia.


There, you’ve learned something today.

So, we stopped at a local café just at the base of the Grampians, and it was delicious. They have awesome fococcia sandwiches AND I tried potato wedges with sweet chilli and sour cream for the first time. It was amazing. I’m telling you, the Australians are on to something…



Then we trekked up. I really can’t tell you how many overlooks and peaks we visited because I stopped counting. There is a time for facts and relevancies and a time to simply enjoy where you are and who you’re with. If you EVER go to Australia, you have to visit the Grampians. They are beautiful. They’re some of the oldest mountains in the world due to all of the sandstone layering. It’s truly a spiritual experience being in nature.



We were also fortunate enough to get to see the waterfall. There’s just something about being around such power, such a force of nature. It makes you feel small. It makes you appreciate where you are.



I really enjoyed this weekend. Not only the places I was lucky enough to visit, but the people I was able to enjoy them with. Studying abroad is gradually pulling me toward small revelations. About life. About people. There is just so much out there that we simply don’t know. And how will you ever if you don’t get out there and try things out. Talk to people who disagree with you because you honestly want to know their perspective in hopes that it might change yours.



Australia is a beautiful place, and I have been blessed.



2 comments: