Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 2

Day 2

Since getting up was no hassle, I showered, dressed, had breakfast and located a city map all by 8:30 a.m. at which point we stepped out into Melbourne for more adventure. Now our goals were not varied nor steep, yet we managed to accomplish little to none of them. Step 1: locate a prepaid phone store and make purchase. Come to find, you need a passport, bank statement and Confirmation of Enrolment to a university just to purchase a phone... there goes that plan.


So, we decided to start simple. Why not just browse local stores? Trust me, there are plenty to choose from. But, we were wrong again. Since it's winter, stores open at different times than usual. On a regular basis stores should open at 9 a.m., however, because of the season stores can open anywhere from 9 to even 12 p.m. So we meandered our way through Melbourne, which was a majestic stroll in its self.

If you like contemporary architecture, Melbourne is the city for you. Buildings jut out in all kinds of directions in any color you can imagine. You say buildings have rules do you? That gravity limits their shape and size? Wrong! They can be triangular or circular, connected or not, have gaping holes or just have a collapsed tree connected to the side. Yet, right around the corner there could be a collection of older buildings.

The city is so varied in so many way. A street chalked full of nice restraunts would unexpectedly open up into a quaint inner city park. (At which we found a rather striking bird hanging about that had contrasting black and white feathers.) A theatre promoting the next musical production (Annie) was right across the street from a band poster advertising their new release. And a little farther down we find a man sitting on a bucket, playing violen. The art was also amazing--anything from masterful grafitti to statues to metal sculptures. Melbourne is not called the most cultured city in the world lightly.

While walking the streets (map in hand) we stumbled across a couple familiars. Subway, KFC, Starbucks, Target, and quite a few American brands in the mall. Yet, what we could not escape and on every corner were surprisingly enough, 711s. They were everywhere! And we were happy to find that Melbourne has it's own Franklin St. It was comforting. And of course, I had to try out a few social experiments while out; it's in my nature.

As walking I couldn't help but notice that people were continually walking toward me and I was the one having to change course. After a few near misses, I realized what was missing. In Australia, you walk UP the street on the left side and DOWN the street on the right. Escalators are the same. I guess I never really thought about it, but walking patterns do tend to mimic driving patterns. I quickly told Shayna of my discovery.

"You know how they know we're not from around here besides the cameras? It's because we're walking on the wrong side of the street!"

"Well, I usually just walk down the middle."

"Oh, that's when they KNOW you're American."

That's about how it went down.

Speaking of interesting conversations, there was a memorable moment today. We walked into a mall in Melbourne and couldn't help but be blown away by the prices. (659 AUD for a simple party dress and 60AUD for flip flops.) Anyway,  I walked into a vintage clothing store to take in the local threads when a peppy Australian guy popped out of nowhere and says,

"Oh, out taking snaps, are ya?"

I realized my camera was in hand.

"Yea, we're out exploring."

He smiled at that. I smiled at the fact that he used "snaps." Also, a sweatshirt is actually a jumper and a university is a uni. The language barrier has been terribly difficult to overcome because there are SO many changes. But don't worry, I will endure. Somehow.

We caught lunch at a hole in the wall Japanese restaurant. 7 AUD sushi roll? I think yes. Due to an avocado, salmon and crab specialty I left full and satisfied. Oh, and interesting note. Taxes are already included in prices here. I guess that's why things are more expensive to begin with. But at least you don't have to go through the trouble of choosing whether or not to be generous.

To end our day, we explored the local Target and finally found some reasonable prices. It was nice to be somewhere familiar. Oh, and an update, the hotel called this morning and said they worked out the banking situation so I will hopefully be opening an Australian bank account tomorrow. Fingers crossed, ya?

Until then I'll be sucking down coffee to see if I can stay awake until 9 p.m. Ha.

3 comments:

  1. Love that you are blogging your journey.... I know I already told you that...but this is awesome. I love how you describe everything in detail. I am lovin' the "snaps" lol!! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I was really excited that he thought I was from Aussie. I wonder what all of the international students I meet today will think... Love and miss you!

      Delete
  2. keep talking love reading ur stuff miss u and love u maw

    ReplyDelete