Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 10

 Woke up this morning feeling like a zombie.

So, let’s give a little more perspective into the Australian culture. They are super conservative. And I don’t mean right winged. More like they are conscious about doing as much as possible to save the environment. This means less usage in heat, electricity, water and any other resource that can be limited. Now, overall, I think this is a beautiful standpoint to take. I mean, who doesn’t like saving trees and the environment? I’m certainly a supporter. But sometimes, this can be taken a wee bit too far.

My poor snuggie.

Like heating for example. Now, I do realize that part of being cold comes with winter, and as it is such, I should have had enough forethought to see exactly how MANY days it takes for linens to be delivered, but the lapse in judgment has been made and I am linen-less. Regardless, I think a snuggie should be enough to keep a person of my size warm when a heater is running in the room. Alas, I was wrong!  Comfort is being conserved, to an uncomfortable level.

It turns out the heater in our room not only has a switch that tells you whether it’s on or off, but it also turns off every 2 hours. Consequently, I have been stumbling across the room at night to whack the button that will once again keep me from shivering. Oh well, a few more nights and my problems will be solved with postage.

Anyway, back to why I’m feeling like a zombie. I’ve had a strange urge to gnaw on people’s faces lately. No, just kidding. Well, maybe, when I see the price of food here. Regardless, it seems I have taken a cold and because of such had a terrible hack throughout the day that left people keeping their distance. My voice is all but gone because of drainage. But don’t worry, it snot that bad.

I was able to get my Commonwealth debit card functional today and my online banking (Netbank) in order after a 5 minute visit to the bank. I swear, bankers are super efficient here. We then meandered back toward China Town and tried a Korean Buffet. It was 12 bucks, but I was determined to make it lunch and dinner. Three plates later…. The food was awesome. Though, my favorite dish was a bit odd. It was a cold noodle dish with yogurt and fruit mixed in, the main fruit being apples. Very refreshing after all of the curry, rice, onions, chicken and fish.

With our bellies full and our debit cards loaded, we headed to Big W (the Australian Walmart). After splitting up from Shayna, I realized the first item on my list was flip flops. Now, I’d scanned over the shoe section already, but all I could find were Uggs (which are insanely huge here, btw.) A little frustrated, I spied a Big W worker hovering near the entrance. I smirked. It was my chance. So, I walked up and asked with a completely straight face,

“Excuse me, can you direct me to the thongs?”

“No worries. They’re this way.”

She wasn’t fazed in the least. I felt immature.

I then used my debit card for the first time and felt first excitement then loss. Yes, money does come and go fast.

And that was all that my day really comprised of other than swinging into a 711 to buy some orange juice and seeing my first spider in the bathroom. It was unassuming and most likely not poisonous. I left it alone just in case.

Orientation begins tomorrow, so hopefully I will register for classes. I hope it’s nothing like Carolina’s registration. I don’t think I can take that much stress so early in the morning. Hah.

Wish me good luck!

6 comments:

  1. Darlin', I'm so excited for you. All of your posts are just making me so happy as you discover this different world!

    I will follow you to the ends of the earth. On your blog, anyway. ;)

    Love you, girl!

    Alex Hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you are so sweet girl. I miss everyone so much! Especially you sweet Carolina girls. It seems unreal another Carolina semester is about to start without me! But alas, I am needed somewhere else.

      Miss and love you, Alex! Thanks for keeping up with the blog :)

      Delete
  2. This picture makes me feel sad :( go back to the Big W and purchase some sheets . I am glad you let the spider live. I miss you and I am praying for you daily.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all right, Mom. Only a few more day before my linens get in. And the room has been MUCH warmer lately. I love and miss you dearly! And the prayers are much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Love the zombies comment! Your humor is other-worldly;)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete