Sunday, August 12, 2012

Days 35-37

Friday

Honestly, my only ambitions for Friday were to make it to class on time, feed myself at some point and get a minimal amount of my homework finished (or at least started.) I managed to accomplish all of the above and more. I know, I'm just full of surprises.

Regent Theatre

While working on a Bio assignment, my phone buzzed and the usual sensation of giddiness overtook me at knowing people in Melbourne who were close enough to invite me to do stuff. (I promise, I really do have friends back home...) Anyway, my friend from Christian Union, Natalie, was once again inviting me to a church service in Melbourne. I know, you're thinking, it's a Friday night, why in the world would there be a church service. HA! I will tell you why.

Hillsong. Beloved Hillsong, which was originally a church before their music globally exploded, is based out of Sydney. In fact, out of all of the Hillsong churches planted in the world, Sydney's is largest becuase it was the site where Hillsong originated in 1983. Anyway, Natalie told me that for the first time, Hillsong was meeting in Melbourne. Apparently, Hillsong is planning on starting a Melbourne church sometime in February.

So, of course I went. Some of the best things that have happened to me so far I kind of fell into. That's not going to change now.

I met Natalie, who is one of the sweetest people I know and has been such a blessing so far, at the Regent Theatre. I was blown away by the fancy lights, Hillsong members in black ushering us inside and the regal architecture of the theatre that I couldn't help but imagine in temples from days of old. It was beautiful, all of it. From the people, to the service to the worship. One of the pastors from Sydney's Hillsong church was preaching that night, and there is no doubt that God tailored the message to speak to some issues I'm going through right now. Funny how that happens, ya?


San Churros will be the death of me...
Anyway, I won't preach at you, but I did come away with an interesting take on things. If you are a Christian, how are you supposed to show people that you belong to Christ? You do so by LOVING people the SAME way Jesus has loved you. I know, it's so simple, yet it blew my mind. Definitely trying to put that concept into practice.

I then came back after having an awesome time joining in singing all of Hillsong's lovely songs, and met Shayna and Rhi for a little chocky excursion. Yes, we did end up at San Churros again. But hey, they have such a BIG menu, we had to try something new just to make sure they're as good as we think they are...

Ends up, they are.

I had strawberry bizcocho and it was heavenly. That is all.

Saturday

So, basically I slept terribly Friday night because I felt myself getting sick again. Sure enough, I woke up Saturday with a cold, but didn't think it was that bad, so I met up with Nanna and Wendy for breakfast. We went to Hardware lane in the Laneways and ate at a little cafe called Trims. It was nice to catch up and get a little planning done.

Oh, and a little tip about Aussie, they simply won't SPLIT bills for you. So you have to work out how much you owe and add up all the money to give them at one time. Also, you have to use credit cards sparingly, because most places have limits. For example, you might have to spend at least 20 dollars at a place just to use a credit card. I know, it's ridiculous. It's definitely a small detail I've had to get used to coming from America.

Haha, needless to say, that waitress had to deal with a whole little mountain of change and bills. Oops.

Porridge @ Trims Cafe.

We then skipped over to the Victoria State Library. This place is regal and has security guards and rooms where you can play video games. (There was an interesting moment where we watched an older guy make absurd gesture in front of a Wii screen. It was hilarious...)

Anyway, by the time I was finished at the library I was feeling pretty terrible. So I went back and grabbed a hot shower and took a nap. Later that night, Tisara invited us to the kitchen where David was serving the whole floor free pancakes because he was in a good mood. I'm telling you, 12th floor is great. I need to find something to make that I can invite everyone to eat.....hmmm, I'll work on it because I don't think cereal or pop tarts count. Yes, the night included a Mickey mouse shaped pancake, Tisara using his honey for syrup, listening to Suey sing Benny & the Jets and meeting a new friend who appreciates literature as much as me. Yes, I would consider that a successful night.

Sunday

So...I had these extravagant plans to go to St. Kilda today, but as nature would have it, I woke up with what I think is strep throat (a visit to campus health tomorrow should confirm whether or not it is.) I know I have all the symptoms. I'm trying to pinpoint why I'm getting sick and I think it's simply the weather. It's colder than I expected, and the wind will get you every time. (That, and I walked back in a paint splattered t-shirt to Unilodge when it was freezing outside...)

But, when you're sick, at least it gives you an opportunity to see how thoughtful the people are around you. Tom is seriously one of the sweetest people I've met since getting here. He braved the cold and brought me back fever/cold medicine, which is thankfully keeping most of my symptoms at bay until I can get to the doctor. And then I ran into Tisara in the kitchen who let me have some of his honey and gave me even more meds for a sore throat. (Don't worry, I'm not mixing the meds. Just using the ones that are most efficient.) Thankfully, the drops Tisara gave me completely numb my throat  and the pills Tom brought are keeping my fever down, so hopefullyI will sleep tonight, ha.

Besides that, I've made lunch and worked on homework today. I know. Exciting. Anyway, wish me a speedy recovery. My plans for this week/weekend are not going to wait on me.


Jordan out.

No comments:

Post a Comment