Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Days 31 & 32

Monday started off without complaint. I went in for bio, which began the newest series of lectures by another botanist. (I only thought we were going to learn about fuzzy animals. Nope, just fuzzy plants.) Interestingly, we spent the majority of the time talking about the prickly-pear and its invasion of Australia. Funnily enough, it was brought into Oz by the British because tiny cochineal insects, which live on the pears, produce a red dye when crushed that the British used for their coats. But once introduced, the pears spread at a fearful rate of 300 square meters per second and it wasn't long until the Aussie farmers were overwhelmed. So, what was the solution?

Well, they tried to burn them, which wasn't the best of ideas seeing as how cacti are almost entirely made up of water... So they turned to spraying the cursed "weed" with arsenic pentoxide (a substance just as toxic to humans as plants, if not more so). I think the funniest thing I learned was that weapons sales jumped at the same time arsenic sales did. The theory is that Aussie farmers were taking the retired weapons from World War II and flame throwing/shooting cacti with them. Can you imagine? (Who said biology wasn't interesting?)

Oh, and since we had so much time to discuss the prickly pear, my mind drifted and made its way to Nic Cage so that I was forced to hold back laughter. And yes, I did watch that youtube video again. (Google Cage Rage if you have no idea what I'm talking about, but be warned...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yymyzf43a94

Theatre class was pretty chill. I really like the teacher. He's passionate about scriptwriting, which makes me want to be, even if I have no idea what I'm doing since I haven't watched much theatre. But I love characters, so I hope that will be enough. I was curious though, about the concept of melodrama, so I caught him after class and asked his opinion on subjects that writers want to write about because they've experienced them but find themselves rebuked by words such as "cliche" or "extreme" because they've simply been done too many times before. (Alcoholism, suicide, abuse, etc.) His answer was one I think I knew intrinsically.

Basically, if you have experienced these "extreme" situations, then what you bring to your writing is that personal experience that is unique to you. And concentrating on that perspective instead of the issue at hand is what will captivate the audience. I guess it goes back to the most basic rule of writing.
The usual Unilodge crew at Turf Club.

Show, don't tell.

Ha. Try teaching that to pre-schoolers.

Monday night I headed out to Turf Club for a Unilodge guy's birthday. It was fun for the first few hours, watching everyone get progressively off-kilter and finally flat out drunk. (Well, fun except for the whole glass of champagne that ended up on my jacket within the first ten minutes.) I'm telling you, you can have SO many interesting conversations at pubs. Especially if you're not drinking. It was weird, they were playing the Olympics on a huge screen and I'm pretty sure I heard the comment,

"Well, of course you'd have to be drunk to watch men's volleyball..."

Surprisingly, I ran into a girl who had recently moved into Unilodge from Sri Lanka. (Now I am going to admit how globally ignorant I am by pointing out the fact that I had no idea where Sri Lanka was until two weeks ago. For those of you as ignorant as I, Sri Lanka floats directs below India. Ignorance successfully cured.) Anyway, she wasn't drinking either because she is a Muslim and this is a religious month for them. I always find it curious to talk to people with different faiths. Who says Muslims and Christians are supposed to hate each other? I think we got along just fine. In fact, I think I'll catch up with her later to talk more about her faith and what she believes. It's really fascinating to me since my relationship with God plays such a big part in my life.

Anyway, after getting hit on by our fair share of creepy guys and jostled around by people gradually getting more boisterous and aggressive, we decided it was time to take off. Another Unilodge mate decided to walk back with us. (I don't think he was drunk enough for Turf, in my humble opinion.) And as we're walking back, we come to the realization that he walked back with us because in his country, it isn't safe for women to walk back alone at night. I thought it was chivalrous of him to do such a thing and felt a little bad for making him leave so early. But honestly, I don't think he minded. Overall, a good night with some hilarious people and more new faces who will hopefully become new friends. Monday night successful.
My flippin awesome haircut. Literally.
Today I was SO lazy and unproductive. Basically, I did laundry, made lunch and got my haircut. Yes, you heard correctly, I ventured out and put my hair in the hands of an Indian woman with a nose ring completely covered in black clothing. It was the first time I've been anxious/fearful in Melbourne. Not because of the lady mind you, but because I was diving in completely blind (and I do mean that quite literally since I close my eyes when I get my hair cut.) I told her I wanted an inch off of all my layers, sat down, tilted my head back and closed my eyes. I didn't open them until she was finished. Now, tell me that's not an adventure.

Fortunately, it turned out well. It's just a little shorter than expected. I think I was getting used to the "shaggy" look, ha.
After effects of fancy Lygon St. dinner.
I also went out for dinner tonight with a friend from one of my creative writing classes. We ended up going to a really fancy place on Lygon street and sharing a plate because the meals were so expensive. But the great thing about expensive places is that the food is usually worth it. In this case, it definitely was  (the whole two dumplings that were mine.) Ha. Melbourne. What am I going to do with you? The coffee was delish, btw. North Carolina just doesn't have any good coffee in comparison, and don't go pointing to Starbucks. It totally doesn't count.


That's all for now, folks.
Until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment